After a very long winter, activities and exercise are now being planned for the outdoors. In order to have a healthy and injury-free change of the seasons, be sure to include Dr. Ernest Patti’s spring health tips in your planning.
8 Spring Health Tips:
- Properly stretch your body prior to beginning any exercise routine. Remember to exercise during the cooler early morning or the after-sundown hours.
- Those with allergies need to see their doctor early for medications and precautions to prevent and lessen the severity of their symptoms.
- Frequently shower and change clothes after outdoor activities, use air filters and air conditioners in the home, and avoid bringing pollen-coated items (like pets) into the home.
- Warmer weather and exercise will increase your body’s need for water. Limit sports drinks to those excessively humid days as they also contain extra sugar and salt.
- As you get more exposure to the sun, remember to use sunscreen and moisturizers with proper SPF protection (usually SPF 50 or above). Apply it frequently, especially to children.
- Warmer weather also means insects. Repair any broken window screens, and use mosquito repellent if outdoors after dark or in the early morning, especially on children.
- Use the right safety equipment-warm weather sports require proper headgear, padding, and safety items.
- Finally, proper nutrition is a must! Eat smaller, lighter meals, with a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables which are now in season.
Dr. Ernest Patti