Facts and Statistics
• SBH is a not-for-profit organization recognized under Section 501 (c)(3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.
• SBH is leading the Bronx Partners for Healthy Communities (BPHC), which includes more than 150 Bronx community-based organizations that are working together to improve health care delivery and outcomes for Bronx residents. The BPHC is a Performing Provider System (PPS) that was created in response to the New York State Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment (DSRIP) program, as state-wide effort to reform the Medicaid system.
• SBH is a founding member of the Bronx Accountable Healthcare Network (BAHN), a consortium of Bronx-based health care providers that are working together to improve the quality of care for Bronx Medicare recipients with complex behavioral and medical needs.
• SBH operates a “Community Physician Referral Office” to ensure that Bronx physicians can easily access to all of its resources to provide their private practice patients quality care in a timely and sensitive manner.
• SBH is a teaching hospital affiliated with the Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education at the City College of New York, the New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of the New York Institute of Technology and Albert Einstein College of Medicine. A total of 280 residents are training at SBH.
• SBH is accredited by The Joint Commission.
• 2,532 Employees
• 422 Certified Hospital Beds
• 88,223 Emergency Room Visits in 2014
• 17,051 Hospital Discharges in 2014
• 400,000 Ambulatory Care Visits in 2014
• NCQA Level 3 Patient Centered Medical Home (2011 Standards)
• N.Y. State-designated Level I Trauma Center
• N.Y. State-designated Stroke Center
• N.Y. State-designated AIDS Center
• N.Y. State-designated Level III Perinatal Center
• Federally-designated Community Center of Excellence in Women’s Health (the only center in the Eastern Region)
Recognition for Healthcare Excellence
• The American College of Radiology (ACR) awarded SBH’s Radiology service its “Gold Award” in recognition of the Hospital’s strong commitment to image quality and safety.
• When SBH opened its doors in 1866, it was America’s first hospital for chronic diseases and only the second such hospital in the world.
• Nitrous oxide was first successfully used as an anesthetic in prolonged operations at SBH.
Charity Care Expense
$52,987,000 (Fiscal Year 2013)
SBH Health System is committed to improving the health of our community and is dedicated to providing compassionate, comprehensive and innovative health care in a safe environment where the patient always comes first. All individuals will be provided complete, open and timely access to the highest quality of care, regardless of their ability to pay.