- Written by Ethan Abbott
The SBH ED Wellness Committee, made up of attendings and residents from all years, provides resources, workshops and events to build and support the physical, psychological and emotional well-being of our emergency department. Our goal is to help individuals achieve their highest potential while growing personally and professionally through practicing medicine. We aim to inspire and empower each other through a supportive network optimizing the wellness of all.
A selection of our many initiatives include:
- Wellness events including hiking trips, beach trips, wine and beer tastings (yes, we were able to do virtual wine and beer tastings!), bowling and more!
- Publication of a quarterly newsletter, The Five and Four, which highlights various comings and goings within the department. Have an article idea? Contact the editors at: SBHEDWellness@gmail.com
- Our wellness bulletin board, highly visible in the entryway to the Emergency Department, which provides staff, patients and visitors with information about monthly wellness events, health recipes and quick tips for how to take a “wellness minute.”
- The Emergency Department “Shout Out Sprout”, which hangs just outside of our Trauma Bay entrance is an opportunity for ED staff to post recognition and gratitude towards each other. It is wonderful to stop by and find a leaf on the tree with your name and a “thanks” or “kudos” from your colleagues.
- “Off Shift” Cards, which are given to ED Residents who are on off-service rotations providing resources and reminders how to survive some challenging rotations away from your ED home base.